Thursday, April 20, 2017

Q is for Quatrefoils

This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm sewing a patchwork block for each letter of the alphabet. Each day I will share that block and a little about the block and direct you to where you can find a tutorial for that block on the Web.



I hadn't heard of this block before choosing it for this challenge however it is marked in the Quilters Cache as being a traditional block and when doing a web search I found a number of articles about it and a YouTube video on making it. I found someone's pinterest board on the block here.  



The pattern for this block can be found on Quillter's Cache here The pattern is for a 9" block but I wanted a 12" block so increased the sizes of the units I cut. Instead of 2" squares I cut 2.5" and instead of 3.5" squares I cut 4.5" squares.




This is the youtube video for making the block.

Here's a diagram of a  quilt made using the quatrefoil block

7 comments:

  1. I like how diagonal squares are set against regularly positioned ones. I wish I could see an entire quilt with these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there was a diagram on Quiter's Cache of a quilt made with the block and I have added it. I only realised when coming back to respond to comments that I hadn't actually finished the blog post off... I wrote them ahead of time and came back to finish them all off and obviously missed this one. Done now

      Delete
  2. I loved the pattern. Looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Such patterns are common for home made baby quilts in India, I never knew they had a name. Thanks for an informative post.
    Quaint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most patterns and blocks have a name and some have multiple names and some names apply to multiple blocks. The name varies across communities and cultures.

      Delete