Tuesday, April 18, 2017

O is for Ohio Star

This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm sewing a patchwork block for each letter of the alphabet. Each day I will share that block and a little about the block and direct you to where you can find a tutorial for that block on the Web.




My E block was the Eight Pointed Star and when blogging about it I discussed the fact that there are lots and lots of Star blocks. The most famous/common/popular/well known - call it what you will - is the Ohio Star. It is certainly one of the first blocks I learned about. 

Another traditional and very popular block the pattern for which can be found here on Quilter's Cache. 


There is a YouTube video of how to make the block here on Missouri Star Quilt Company. Its a great resource



The photo isn't showing the colours I used too well. Its actually 2 shades of green with a white centre with multicoloured dots on it.



The Quilt Cache had this setting for the quilt - the Ohio Star block set with snowball blocks.


These are some other examples of Ohio Star quilts that are but a few that I found on the web









Today is the 15th day of the challenge and O sees the completion of another row of my A to Z quilt. This is what we have so far


15 comments:

  1. I'm impressed. What a beautiful way to do A to Z. I love your quilt.
    @moondustwriter sharing a
    A Piece of Uganda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I really enjoy quilting and got a heap of enjoyment in making this quilt and researching the blocks.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! One of my favorite blocks. Just found you on blogging challenge. This was one of the first blocks I made. My mother was a skilled quilter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a great beginners block - simple but gives a great result - a little bit fancy!

      Delete
  3. I forgot to share my blog. My blog is here http://luanakrausestorymagic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. there sure are... none of them mine but they are inspiring. I think I like the one with the multiple sizes.. very tempted to have a go at it.....

      Delete
  5. Awesome...all the blocks of quilting that you have show cased so far have a fab factor in them... specially when I see the photos of your creation!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Anagha From Team MocktailMommies
    Collage Of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I love quilting and sharing my work. Most of the time the people who come to my blog are other quilters. I love the A to Z challenge cause a wider range of people visit and I do love to share my passion with them

      Delete
  6. Your A to Z quilt is coming along. I like that you have chosen a scrap style with many colors. When I crochet I will make odd colored designs even if I am purchasing new yarn.

    A to Z Theme: Sharing Family History via #GenealogyPhotoADay By Fran from TravelGenee Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great theme. I love all the patterns and can imagine napping under such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This in one of my favorite block patterns. Your quilt is looking super! You are so industrious, not only do you write about the history and variations of each block, you actually make it! Wow, that is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to have a quilt with this very pattern. Beautiful quilt. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always found the Ohio Star a rather boring block, but I love how the centre in yours pops right out.

    Heidi (Her Grace) from Romance Spinners, who spent her weekend working on hexagon quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete