Tuesday, April 4, 2017

C is for California




This month I'm participating in A to Z Challenge, where 100's of bloggers around the world challenge themselves to write every day for the month of April, working their way through the alphabet.  I'm sewing a patchwork block for each letter of the alphabet. Each day I will share that block and a little about the block and direct you to where you can find a tutorial for that block on the Web.

Today's block is called California.

The pattern for this block came from Quilter's Cache here


The pattern is not marked in the index on the website as being an orginal design (Marcia Hohn's original designs are marked with a star)  and it is marked at traditional however I can't find any other reference to it, or information on it apart from a quilt block made from the pattern on the site. When put together the blocks make an interesting sub pattern which looks great... yup another one for the One Day pile


There are several other blocks that use California in their title the more famous being Road to California and Rocky Road to California. 



There is also one called California Star



I chose to make my California block using a similar colour scheme to that used by Marcia. I think its worked out well although I am not so sure about the mixture of the glasses and the deers in the fabrics. I am determined to just use fabrics from my scrap boxes so I am a bit limited.





9 comments:

  1. A to Zer returning the visit. I really like the way your Cali turned out! I'd really like to visit there btw. I am making note to keep my eye out on your future posts. Looking forward to your contributions :)
    Katy Trail Creations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to see you back. Yes I like the block. Do love red white and black. I have a quilt in those colours... all half square triangles. Its called Newspaper Mamma, from a kids song about "What's black and white and red all over" - answer is Newspaper.

      Delete
  2. Quilting and patchwork is so beautiful. I'm glad to have found your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I find it fascinating - the way you can change the entire look of a block or quilt by changing the colour placement.

      Delete
  3. They are pretty.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the simplicity of the California Star. I had no idea there was so much to quilting!

    Today in Amble Bay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its endless! So many different patterns and blocks and each one can look so different by changing the colour placement... and then there are all the different fabrics! Oh its addictive alright. I think some one from Amble Bay should be a quilter. I know that in one of those cottages there is a crafty person.

      Delete
  5. The star was my favourite - I bet it's a lot harder to make than it looks though! BTW (in response to your comment on my blog post about Crazy Cat People) our dog who is now in dog heaven was a Jack Russell cross too - amazing little dogs aren't they?
    Leanne | cresting the hill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I live in California I had to check out this post. Lovely patterns--they wouldn't necessarily evoke California for me, but they sure are pretty.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete